Monday, March 14, 2011

Up, up, up goes the wordcount

I thought I'd give you all a peek into the past weekend's festivities. :) Thank you to all the Twitter and Facebook buds who chimed in and were 'there' with us on the writing retreat.

My writing buddy Katie Ganshert and I met in the picturesque and inspiring historical gem of a town, Galena, IL for a much anticipated writing retreat getaway. I think we first planned this retreat six months ago.

The above picture is pretty much how Katie spent the weekend. I could never write in this position, but she rocked it. She was doing mostly book surgery, changing lots in her current WIP, and now she has it all sorted and organized and is ready to start adding words. Book surgery can be so daunting and frustrating, especially if you'd rather be pounding out the words. But she stuck with it and got a LOT done.

I've dubbed this picture: The Aftermath. We clobbered a 12 pack of Diet Coke, and polished off quite a bit of a large pizza from Happy Joe's Pizzaria. On Saturday, we only left the room for about 40 minutes to run to Culver's for lunch, then had the pizza delivered in later that night for supper. We laughed about the DC cans. Looked like a frat party in there. And no, Pastor Kevin, no one had to call the authorities. :)


This is us in front of the two story fireplace in the hotel lobby. The hotel was very nice, not one of the historic B&B's that Galena is famous for. (Those are all set up for honeymooners.) But it was a big room, nice beds, lots of pillows, and easy access wi-fi. (Important for authors. :) )
And this is Katie in her favorite sweatshirt and with her volumizing curlers in her hair. This made us laugh because she was bemoaning her hair's lack of volume, while I was bemoaning how much volume my hair has. :) It's always something.

What a great weekend. I got to visit a couple of museums (more on that Wednesday.) I got to hang with Katie Ganshert, which is awesome! We talked writing until we were hoarse, and then talked some more. I focused well on my WIP and added 13K words in two days of writing. It was exciting to see the story grow so quickly. I updated my word counter often throughout the weekend.

I also got to watch the Kansas Jayhawks cut down the nets after the Big 12 Conference Tournament. Yay! Rock, Chalk, Jayhawks! I'm hoping they rip it up during the NCAA Tournament. No early out!

So, have you ever been on a writing retreat? This is by far the BEST one I've ever attended.

8 comments:

  1. Love the Diet Coke cans & thank you for patting the chair for me and sending word on Twitter!

    I need to organize one of these. Yesterday I sat to write four times and each time a family member "needed" me for something.

    Oi!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO much fun!! Love the pics. Glad I got some book surgery done, because now with potty training, I'm not sure I'll be getting much writing done in the next week or so!

    Loved hangin' with you, girl! You are a writing MACHINE!! Very inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so envious! It's not that I haven't managed my own occasional writing getaways but they're personal ones. The camaraderie of a writing weekend with a buddy sounds wonderful. Love the pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a blast, although I'd already figured that out from your fun tweets throughout the weekend. I'm glad you were able to share this experience and that you accomplished so much and enjoyed plenty of wonderful conversation.

    I did notice that no mention of sleep was made. I'm guessing there was little time spent cathing Zzzs. Your time was too precious for such mundane things, I'm sure. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I bet you guys had a great time. I've never done a writing retreat before, though I wonder how much writing I'd get done if I got to visit with writing friends (especially those I don't get to see often). I'm glad you guys were productive on your stories, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO Jealous! I hope you ladies realize how lucky you are! Wow! I wrote like a speed racer this last week and I finished my WIP!! I'm doing edits now. Edits seem so much easier. For now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, I think we should plan one where you can attend! :)

    Katie, one monumental task at a time. :)

    Carol, hanging out with another writer who totally 'gets' this writing life is soooo refreshing and rejuvenating. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keli, it was so hard to make ourselves go to sleep, but writing and concentrating that hard made us really tired. We were both bummed to have lost an hour to daylight savings though. :(

    Cindy, we did talk pretty much nonstop for the first couple of hours, but I think we both felt we had to justify the expense and time away from our families, so we buckled down.

    Tana, YAY for finishing your WIP! And Yay for edits. :D

    ReplyDelete