Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Eclectic Research

Wall of Booksphoto © 2011 Ted | more info (via: Wylio)

This week I'm doing quite a bit of research as I flesh out some synopses. I had to laugh when I realized what a diverse range of topics I was delving into.

I spent part of one day at the local library tracking down items I needed and checking out books.

I've got books on Sheep, Polio, Influenza, The Lowry Park Zoo, The Red Cross, Zoo Vets, Frontier law, The Santa Fe railroad, and World War 1.

Pretty broad range of topics. And I have more waiting for me on reserve at the library.  I love research.

But it's easy for me to get lost in the research when I need to be writing.

This week, the goal is to work on the critiques from my fabo crit partners, Katie and Geo, who have given me plenty to work on with Stars in Her Eyes. Time to ramp up the conflict and not take it easy on my characters.

What kind of research have you done for your writing? What's the oddest thing you've researched?

7 comments:

  1. The oddest things so far is the slums in Uganda.
    I wanted to ask you, do you write about countries you haven't been to? If not, would you?
    Just curious if you think a writer could pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a book on sheep!

    Hmm. I have something but it would give away a key thing in one of my books. For now, I'll just say umbilical cords.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My historical is set during the Spanish Influenza, so I did a lot of research about that period. Some fascinating things. Did you know some women fought in the war? I didn't.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Research can be sooo much fun. I'm glad you're enjoying yours, Erica.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on your research books I would love to read your next book! Lots of my ancestors worked on the railroads so I have a soft spot for anything trains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheep...polio...railroad...wow! What are you working on?

    Yeah baby, I love conflict :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My latest have been opium, lighthouse mechanics, dementia, and hummingbirds. :)

    ReplyDelete