Friday, April 01, 2011

The Friday Five

This week's Friday Five is

Five Great But Little Known Cartoon Characters.

1. The singing frog from the Warner Bros. cartoons. (pictured above) When the frog wasn't being watched, he wouldn't shut up the singing and dancing, and when he was on stage...nothing but a 'brrrrapppppp.'

2. Claude the Cat. I love Claude. His owners bring home a precocious little puppy that wants to make a chew-toy of Claude. The puppy's favorite ploy is to sneak up on a sleeping or unaware Claude and bark his head off. Claude rockets into the air and clings to the ceiling. :)

3. Egghead Jr. I loved how this little fellow could use his vast knowledge of calculus to find exactly where Foghorn Leghorn was hiding when they played hide-and-seek.

4. Also from Foghorn Leghorn cartoons is Henry the Chickenhawk. He was forever trying to take down the much larger Foghorn Leghorn and proclaiming to the world that he was  CHICKENHAWK! in all capital letters.

5. Sam the Sheepdog, the nemesis of Ralph the Wolf. Sam sat high on a hill and without exerting much effort foiled every nefarious plan of Ralph the Wolf to steal sheep from the flock.

How about you? Who else would you add to this list of non-headlining and yet wonderful cartoon characters?


Oh, and Happy April!

9 comments:

  1. Ah, you warmed my heart, full of pleasant memories of Saturday mornings in front of our old black-and-white TV, watching the Bugs Bunny Show. I love all the ones you've chosen, Erica, but I still think the one I love the best is Foghorn Leghorn. He had some of the greatest lines ever:

    Uh-uh-uh, I know what you're gonna say, son. When two halves is gone, there's nothin' left. And you're right, it's a little ole worm, who wasn't there. Two nothin's is nothin'.

    Boy, you cover about as much as a flapper's skirt in a high wind

    Pay attention to me boy! I'm not just talkin' to hear my head roar

    Speak up, son; you're lips are flappin' but no noise is comin' out!

    Smart boy, got a mind like a steel trap - full of mice

    You just know I'm gonna do something about this

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frog's name is Michigan J. Frog. I love him. Today might be a good day to break out the Looney Tunes DVDS. Wanna come over?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, sorry , can't help here, never been a cartoon person. But those all do look interesting!

    I noticed your writing progress, Erica. Congratulations on finishing one and heading straight into the next. You amaze me!

    So does writing get faster as you go? Do you minimize the number of necessary edit rounds as you go too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda8:14 AM

    Thanks for the memories this morning! I would add Pepe Le Pew and Penelope to the list. And Marvin the Martian. Now I need to watch some cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure! I'm drawing a complete blank!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy April! I'm partial to the Flintsones and the Jetson's and of course Scooby Doo. ;) Did I mention the justice league??? I love me some super heros. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I had a soft spot for cats, dogs and birds, though my favourites weren't little known -- loved Henry the Chickenhawk, but also Tweety Bird, the Roadrunner, Garfield the cat, and Marmaduke the dog. What great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Egghead Jr.! I hadn't thought about him in years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you see Foghorn Leghorn and Henry the Chickenhawk in the new Geico commercial?

    =D

    ReplyDelete