Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Going to see the King

This past Thursday, I realized a dream of mine that I'd had since about seventh grade, as near as I can recall.
When I was in seventh grade, my history textbook had a very long section on Egyptology. I saw a photograph of the mummy of Ramses the Great, and I was hooked. I developed a life-long interest in all things ancient Egypt.

The Treasures of Egypt: King Tut exhibit came to the MN Science Museum, and my kids and I were able to see the exhibit last week. Statuary, Shabtis, Sarcophogi, Pectorals, Plaster Friezes, Amulets...unbelieveable detail and antiquity.

I saw in person things that I had only seen photographs of before. It is such an unreal feeling to stand at the foot of a statue of Akhenaten or Khufu, or stare into the eyes of an alabaster canopic jar carved in the image of King Tutankhamen and contemplate the sheer age of the artifact.

We also took in the Omnimax film Mummies: Secrets of the Pharoahs. And guess who starred in the film? The mummy of Ramses the Great! I'd know that aristocratic profile anywhere. :)  One thing the narrator of the film said that made me shake my head though, was that staring into the face of Ramses the Great was a singular experience, since it was the only face from the Bible that we would ever see.

Sad, isn't it? Not only is there much debate over who the Pharoah of the Biblical Exodus was, but this narrator has no idea that in eternity, believers will see the faces of so many of the Bible characters. David, Abraham, Moses, Peter, Daniel, Josiah, Barnabas...and most to be treasured...the face of Jesus.

I'm so thankful to have been able to see the treasures of Egypt and fulfill this lifelong dream, but the greatest treasure, the dream to surpass all dreams, will be to see the face of my Savior.

Question for you: Are you interested in Egyptology? Have you seen the Treasures of Egypt? Do you want to?

5 comments:

  1. Are you buying tickets and going again? I'm so there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, very interested. I'm SO jealous! I guess I need to see what kind of museums we have here in Orlando...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very interested in Egyptology, though I haven't been to that exhibit. I am currently studying in England, though, and have gotten to see 3 very neat museum exhibits about Egypt, mummies, and the like: the British Museum, the Louvre, and (my personal favorite) the Egypt Museum created by my year 4 students at the end of their learning journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm not a history buff so please don't look down on me, but no, it's not been a dream of mine. I would however go to see an exhibit if one came near me as I do find those interesting, just don't put energy into seeking more out about it generally.

    So glad you had a great time, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very interested in Egyptology and I saw the 'Ramses the Great' exhibit way back in the 80's when it came to North Carolina. I was only about 12 or 13 and I thought the most interesting thing was the curved piece that was a neck rest for sleeping---I couldn't believe they didn't use pillows!

    ReplyDelete