Friday, May 13, 2011

The Friday Five

Restaurant Le Malesanphoto © 2008 Nedo Homawoo (via: Wylio)

Today I get to do three totally awesome things.

I get to call the finalists in the Genesis Contest YA division.

I get to spend the night with my daughter...a girls' sleepover.

I get to have dinner with the awesome Mary Connealy! Squee!

So, for today's Friday Five,


Five things I love about having dinner with a writing buddy.

1. Learning from one another. Sharing the information we have about the industry, about the craft, etc.

2. Talking to someone who understands the idiosyncrasies of the writing life. As supportive and loving and understanding as our family and non-writing friends can be, nobody 'gets' a writer like another writer.

3. Brainstorming ideas. Talking about killing people, kidnapping people, poisoning people, etc. And sharing cool historical ideas and settings, too. And the other person doesn't worry about your sanity, because she's right in there with you creating mayhem for characters.

4. Whining. A little. Commiserating the hard stuff. Blowing off a little steam in a safe environment. Granted, I have like...zip...to complain about, but I'm a pretty good listener.

5. Becoming rejuvenated and revitalized and re energized to get back to the work I love. Talking with a writer friend reminds me how much I love what I do and how much I want to keep doing it.

How about you? What do you like about hanging out with writers?


*** Due to complications with Blogger being down, the Bloggaversary celebration will continue through the weekend. Anyone who leaves a comment on yesterday's or today's blog post will be entered to win the Seven Autographed Books and the $10 gift card to Amazon.com or B&N.com

Be sure to leave a way for me to contact you if you win.







more info

10 comments:

  1. I never got to congratulate you on your blogoversary! How cool! Also - yes. I love hanging out with writers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what was up with Blogger yesterday? Despite technical difficulties, I hope you had a "Happy Blogiversary!"

    I wish I had other writers to hang out with, but no real people are around (that I know of) so I do my hanging out online. Have a fun Friday!

    jprivette1(at)roadrunner(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun with your girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. I think it'd be so fun to set an in-person brainstorming date with my CP. We got to see each other over the past winter for an evening, but just the two of us talking writing could be so fun!

    Happy 5 years again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda3:03 PM

    Wow, five years have gone by fast! We've done and learned a lot. The Friday Five is always great and I've enjoyed having a peak at the inside of the publishing business, had no idea.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have great time with Mary. I had breakfast today with a new writer friend who lives nearby, Lacie Nezbeth. She's as sweet as she is beautiful. The food was good, the company outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your writer's getaway a couple months ago. /sigh/ That would be so awesome.

    One of these years... ;)

    Congrats again in the blogaversary! And hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Blogoversary!

    Hope you had a wonderful dinner and sleepover. My best writer buddy moved away and I so miss our long afternoons plotting over tea and scones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am I the only one that noticed THE TIME Erica posted??? Or is that just an east coast vs. west coast time difference thing???? Sorry, Erica, I don't know where you're located in the world (still getting to know you!) :)

    Anyway, my BFF & I are both on-the-side writers, and I feel so blessed to have her understand my perspective of really just getting started. I'm one of those that's written for years but have only recently committed to writing "for real".

    I've loved reading your blog!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know exactly what you mean! I got to talk to Pepper B. the other day and it is always good to talk to another writer who completely understands. :)

    Hope it's not too late to wish you a HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY, since my earlier comment was deleted. :(

    :) caseymh18(@)Gmail.com

    ReplyDelete