Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Helpfulness of Talking

Chili'sphoto © 2010 Mel Rowling | more info (via: Wylio)
Last Friday night, I met Mary Connealy at a Chili's Restaurant in the Twin Cities and we did what we always do. We talked.

For about five hours. :D

We had such a wonderful time. Mary is so easy to be with, and so knowledgeable. She's also unselfish. She shares her experience and wisdom freely, and she loves to help other writers.

One thing that she really helped me with is my current novella project. She let me talk out the basic plots, whine about the backstory dump I will need to cull, and set up a format that really sounded like it might work.

Such a relief! I know this about myself: I need to talk my plots out loud. This helps me clarify the strengths and weaknesses, the plot holes, the places where I don't know the characters enough. It allows someone else to ask me questions, to force me to think about things in a new way, to work through thin places in the story.

We didn't talk about my story the whole time, but I sure am glad for the little while we spent on it. :) Thank you, Mary!

So, do you find yourself needing to talk your plots out loud to someone?

Oh, and a reminder: I'm blogging this week at http://heartsong-authors.blogspot.com/ please stop on by and say howdy.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I've talked out loud about my stories before. I mean, no to hash out the plot and stuff. It sounds fun! I'm glad you two were able to get together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom. Oh, I feel for her pour soul. She has to suffer through all my plot ideas and a few close local friends as well. ;)
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEP! well....not out loud. But IM is a beautiful, beautiful thing. And you are most definitely my go-to girl. I SO appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I had an impromptu brainstorming session at ACFW, and your fab crit partner helped me realize some holes I needed to fill. Priceless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a great writing buddy but she lives in WA and I'm in BC so we don't get together in person very often. Most of our chats are via e-mail. I envy you your hours with Mary.

    ReplyDelete