Monday, June 27, 2011

Three tips Monday

Laptop Keyboardphoto © 2008 Liam Dunn | more info (via: Wylio)
This week's three tips Monday is about the tools of the trade. There are certain things that an author can use to make their writing life go smoother. For me, there are three tools I can't imagine writing fiction without.

1. Laptop. A must. I couldn't write novels without my laptop. My handwriting is just a shade above atrocious, and I hate white out and correction tape. :)

2. My jump drive. I back up my files to my jump drive (and also email my files to myself as another precaution.)

3. The Internet. Research, book purchases, communication with editors and my agent, and connecting with readers and fellow writers. Life would be so different without on-line communications.

8 comments:

  1. Amen to the Internet! I use Mozy for backup, but should get better at backing up on other devices as well. Can never be too careful there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Mozy to back up too. I also back on an external hard drive, but I don't always remember to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I conduct a ton of my research online thanks to the Internet.

    My computer is dying so I need to get on it w/ some of those backup tips.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love my laptop! I can write anywhere...whichever room in the house is the quietest.

    How did we all survive before the Internet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallelujah amen to backups!! I back up on dropbox and a harddrive and a thumbdrive and then my Dad prints a hardcopy. LOL ... I think i'm covered but it doesn't hurt to be paranoid. Mozy? must check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of Mozy and will definitely be checking it out.

    And what is white out and correction tape? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my second virus for the year this morning. I'm crazy careful, yet I've gotten two!! Fortunately, I didn't lose anything and was able to take care of this one easily, and I was comforted by the fact that I had backed up very recently.

    I definitely could not be a very effective writer without my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes! Laptop, external hard drive, and the net baby!

    ReplyDelete