Sunday, June 19, 2011

Vacation!

Middle Gooseberry Fallsphoto © 2010 Tim Wilson | more info (via: Wylio)Since all of last week I was on vacation, I'm taking a little break from the Three Tips Monday for today's blog.

This week, my parents, my aunt and uncle and one of my little cousins were visiting from Florida, and together with them, my family and I traveled 'Up North' to Duluth and along the North Shore of Lake Superior before turning inland toward the Mesabi Iron Range.

This is a picture of Gooseberry Falls (the middle falls to be exact--there are three sets of falls.) This is a sunny day at the falls. When we were there, it was cloudy, foggy, and about 48 degrees. But we had a great walk in the woods and down along the water, enjoying each other's company.

I got to do some things on this trip that I've wanted to do on other visits Up North but have run out of time to do. One of those things was to visit Glensheen Mansion in Duluth.


glensheenphoto © 2007 Brendan Riley | more info (via: Wylio)
We had an amazing guide who took us through all 39 rooms of the mansion and up into the attics. In a tour that lasted almost three hours, we saw amazing decor (including a gold leaf gilded ceiling and hand carved alabaster light fixtures) artwork, and furnishings. Glensheen has an amazing, and even gristly history, including being the scene of a Richard Thomas/Patty Duke thriller film You'll Like My Mother, and being the scene of the murder of two women, Congdon family heiress Elizabeth and her nurse.

We had lots of adventures on this trip and had lots of 'firsts.' I took my first Vista Cruise of the Twin Ports. We toured the Greyhound Bus Museum (yep, there is one. It's in Hibbing, MN.) Saw Lake Mille Lacs, home of the Eel Pout Festival each winter. (Eel Pout is a wickedly ugly fish that they catch on the lake in the wintertime.) We went to the Mall of America, and I actually bought a clothing item. I think that was a first, as I don't usually buy anything while at the MOA. I toured the Lake County Historical Society Museum in Two Harbors, MN and the Grand Rapids Historical Society Museum in Grand Rapids, MN (during the Judy Garland Festival no less. Grand Rapids is the birthplace of Frances Ethel Gumm, aka Judy Garland.)

All in all, we had a great time. Got to see some favorite things, and got to experience lots of new things. Those are the vacations I love best.

How about you? What kind of vacation do you like best?

5 comments:

  1. Vacation? What's that? Welcome, Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any kind. That is my final answer.

    Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had quite an adventure. Did you take notes on your tour?

    I like all kinds, but my favorite involve being outdoors. We are getting ready for one of those. Camping. Outdoors for days! Ah.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you sure got to stop at a variety of places. Sounds like you had a great time.

    My favorite vacations involve a cruise ship!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you had such a wonderful vacation with your family. I enjoy those kind of trips occasionally but I think of them more as sightseeing or research trips than vacations. For me, vacations are do-nothing, get-away-from-everything trips, usually camping in our RV. Parked somewhere overlooking ocean, lake or river where I can pull out a lounge chair and settle in with a good book... that's my idea of the perfect getaway.

    ReplyDelete