Monday, August 22, 2011

Author Copies Have Arrived-And I'm giving some away.

A Log Cabin Christmas and A Bride's Portrait!
After a week or so of stalking the UPS man and lurking when it was time for the postman to arrive, I came home to four big boxes on the front porch. My author copies of A Log Cabin Christmas collection and A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City, KS are here!

My son James laid these out on the coffee table for a photograph.
My son and I had some fun with the books, stacking, arranging, sorting. I couldn't resist running my hand over the embossed cover of Log Cabin or re-reading the back cover copy of Portrait. I flipped to the title page to read my name. I opened the pages and breathed deeply of the new-book smell. And I couldn't help but feel blessed. This isn't the first time I've gotten author copies in the mail, but it never gets old. Each time it's a thrill to hold that book in my hand, to re-live the moment when the original concept came to me, the agony/ecstasy of the writing process, all the editing steps, cover art surprises, the whole journey come to fruition in a single volume of fiction. It's exciting and humbling, wicked cool and scary all at once.

My husband and I went out to celebrate the evening the books arrived, and we stopped by my pastor's house to drop off a copy of each of the books. And on Saturday, I spent a little time reading some of the other novellas in the collection. What talented authors! Wanda Brunstetter, Margaret Brownley, Kelly Hake, Jane Kirkpatrick, Liz Johnson, Liz Tolsma, Debra Ullrick, Michelle Ule...what stellar company. And the stories are so heartwarming.

Because I want to share some of the joy, I'm giving away a copy of A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City, Kansas AND a copy of A Log Cabin Christmas Collection to one reader. Because A Bride's Portrait is about a photographer, tell me what your favorite picture of yourself is. For me, I have always liked my school photo from my junior year. I was having a good hair day, a good skin day, and it just turned out cool. :)



12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on receiving your author copies! What a thrill that must have been. I know I was excited when my copy of A Bride's Portrait arrived this past Friday from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good hair, good skin junior year!

    I'm impressed!

    Favorite photo...hmmm, one of them is on my writer page. I'm in my Ogunquit sweatshirt and I look chill (b/c I feel chill).

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for UPS and author copies. They look mahvelous! Favorite pic of me? One I'm not in. I don't really like having my picture taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Erica. Your books look awesome!

    For me, the best pics are our family ones, I love being surrounded by my family. But if you're talking, how I look in the pic? Then it would be the pic here. It's such a rarity that I look even half descent in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo! Did you sleep at all from the excitement? Did you sleep with one of them in your arms like a teddy bear? :)

    My favorite picture is is one of me and my dad at my wedding. We're dancing, and my feet are on his. A tiny snapshot of a grown up little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my fave pics would have been a driver's license picture some time back. It actually LOOKED like me!

    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for the day to hold a real life book written by me. :) That is so awesome.

    I really like my wedding picture. There's one of my husband and I walking away from the camera holding hands. The sun is setting and we look almost haloed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! How exciting!

    My favorite picture of myself is when I was two. It was taken in the front yard. I'm on all fours on the lawn chair with a mean face. It looks like I'm imitating the family bull dog. Not sure if that was what I had in mind back then or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your books! My favorite picture is of me and my brother. It's the only one I have. He was hugging me tightly after coming home from his first leave in the army. We had never been apart for that long before. Not too long after that he was hurt in a motorcycle accident and died 3 years later. Now that I only have memories, I keep this photo close to my heart always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always fun to receive books in the mail. I imagine it's even more fun when they are your own!

    My favorite photo of myself was my engagement photo when I was 22yo in 1994. I felt like a princess when that picture was taken and I think I looked the best I've ever looked. My son thinks I look weird in it because of my giant dorky glasses! Still, I would love to be that thin and have that skin again.

    jprivette1(at)roadrunner(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was a teen I posed for a community college photography class, they needed a dancer. One of the pictures made me look like I was doing the splits on a mirrored floor, it was awesome! :) Just don't ask me to do the splits now!

    worthy2bpraised at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete