Friday, August 19, 2011

The Friday Five


This week's Friday Five is: Five Masterpiece Mysteries that I love.


1. Inspector Lewis. This is a spin-off of Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse series, which I also liked a lot (though mostly for Inspector Lewis's role in it.)


2. Hercule Poirot. Agatha Christie's classic Belgian detective with the ubiquitous mustaches and fastidious manners. David Suchet as Poirot is brilliant!


3. Rebecca, staring Diana Rigg as the creepy Mrs. Danvers. I'm currently re-reading du Marier's classic suspense novel, Rebecca, and afterwards, I want to re-watch the film. 


4. Sherlock Holmes. I tend to turn a jaundiced eye to remakes of Doyle's Holmes and Watson, but this one is spectacular. Brought forward to modern times, incorporating all the science and technology available to detectives, this series is clever and the characters are appealing. Especially Watson, a war veteran and nobody's fool. I suppose that's one of the main reasons I like this version. Often Watson is portrayed as a bumbling foil to Holmes's brilliance. But Watson was a physician, a biographer, and a former soldier. He had plenty going on in the brain box. 


5. Midsomer Murders. One of the things I love about this series is that the chief inspector, Barnaby, is a happily married man. So many of the cop shows today portray the lead inspector as a tortured soul whose wife has either left him or been killed. The job is all he has and he drives himself to destruction. In this series, the hero has a lovely wife and grown daughter, and he pursues justice because it is his job and he has a high sense of right and wrong. Couple that with the mentoring relationship he has with various of his sergeants, and you've got a character I don't mind hanging out with.


Are you a mystery lover? Do you watch PBS's Masterpiece Mystery?

13 comments:

  1. You lost me on this one, but sure I'd be open to watch. Let's pull up chairs one night at the bar at ACFW & watch PBS! :D

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherlock Holmes is the only one I recognized. Jessica Fletcher is the only other one I can think of right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I don't know any of those shows. I guess the amount of mystery I watch is limited to who is getting voted off of Survivor or The Bachelor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband has gotten me hooked on mysteries. Love Hercule Poirot. David Suchet played him so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only recognize Sherlock! I like that one too. :)

    I loved Matlock and I also watched Jessica Fletcher, like Eileen.

    I'm more of a Fawlty Towers gal. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, you're on! :)

    Eileen, I always thought I'd not want to invite Jessica Fletcher to my fictional summer house, since every time she showed up, someone got killed! :)

    Lacie, tell me you're a Survivor fan too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keli, I just got some Poirot from the library. Death on the Nile!

    Jessica, I LOVE Fawlty Towers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm more of a Masterpiece Theater Classics gal. Loved their most recent Jane Eyre and Downton Abby - a BBC Series that our PBS station replays on Masterpiece Classics. If you like Sherlock Holmes I strongly recomend author Will Thomas. He has a series of books with a Holmesian character called Cyrus Barker. Very good, yet original.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Jen, I recently watched a version of Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton. Very romantic! :)

    I'll have to check out Will Thomas. I'm currently reading Larry Millet's series of Holmes pastiches set in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just checked out Larry's website, I'll have to see if my library has his books. And in the spirit of Fawlty Towers... "Basil!!!" and my personal favorite: "Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right."
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen, I can't imagine how hilarious working on that set must've been.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Erica- I'm not a huge mystery lover but I'm open to it... the Rebecca one looks kinda interesting to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a big mystery fan but for some reason have only watched Masterpiece Mystery occasionally. I like Agatha Christie and her Hercule Poirot. I also like Monk, as odd as he is. He takes "quirky" to an absurd level! I've never read Rebecca... will have to hunt it up.

    ReplyDelete