Thursday, August 04, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Did you know that the Bible is full of verses that remind us that we need to be thankful, that God values thankfulness and scorns those who are ungrateful?

Thankfulness and humility are tied together. Thankfulness puts us in a proper frame of mind, not thinking too highly of ourselves, instead putting emphasis on the actions and efforts of others. Thankfulness teaches us to love one another and esteem others as more important than ourselves. Thankfulness acknowledges the Source of all our blessings. We are supposed to practice thankfulness. (And not just on a Thursday in November when we eat a lot of turkey, watch football, and nap.)

In an effort to be more deliberate about being thankful, I'm going to post one thing a week that I'm thankful for. And I hope you'll join in on the exercise, putting something in the comments that you are thankful for, too. Let's praise and obey God together by expressing our gratitude.

This week, I'm thankful for: my husband's steady job. In this economy, with cabinet shops, lumber yards, and sawmills going under at an alarming rate, my husband's lumber business is holding its own. That can only come by the grace and hand of God, and I'm so thankful that thus far, He's chosen to let us continue with the business.

How about you? What are you thankful for today?

5 comments:

  1. Grateful that I have supportive shoulders to whine on. And by 8/9 will be able to whine by Skype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for so many things. I'm thankful for the amazing book I stayed up way too late to read, but I'm especially thankful I had no reason to rush out of bed this mroning and my kiddos were happy to jump into bed with me while I caught a few more zzzz's.

    Oh, and coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful for a few more days of fun with my kids before school starts.

    And encouraging friends. Never can have too many of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, Erica, I am thankful for my husband's job. He works some crazy hours and sometimes it feels like I'm a single parent, but I thankful that he has been blessed with such a good job.

    ReplyDelete