Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Dream Realized.

This last week, I realized a dream. You see, for years now, ever since I first began pursuing publication with my fiction, I've dreamed of seeing my book on bookstore shelves. Particularly on the shelf at the Barnes & Noble at Apache Mall in Rochester. The truth is, I used to browse B&N and I'd always stop in the Inspirational Fiction department and check on the place where my book would be shelved if I had one.

I wasn't jealous of the authors already there, I just wanted to join their number.

I had heard there was a possibility that Barnes & Noble would pass on carrying my first trade-length novel, A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City, Kansas, because it was similar to something they already carried. That was kinda hard, but I squared my shoulders and determined that all of that was out of my hands. If God wanted the book in B&N, He would have to take care of it.

Last week, I got a photograph from a friend via Facebook. Imagine my joy to see A Bride's Portrait on a Barnes & Noble shelf in LOWER MANHATTAN!

I hustled out to the mall. And there it was. A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City, Kansas on the shelf at Barnes & Noble at Apache Mall in Rochester, MN.

My reaction? I stood there and smiled and swallowed and whispered, "Thank you, Jesus." Then, I did the dork thing and took a photograph. :D

God is good!

On another related note, my local Christian bookstore, the wonderful and welcoming and very author and reader friendly Christian Book & Gift, has a "Best-seller wall" in their store. They show the top five non fiction and top five fiction titles that have sold that week. Lookit #4!

Another dream I had was to do book signings with authors who were my friends. And I have been so blessed! This has been a very busy month of book signings and travel. On Saturday I was in Sioux Falls with Mary Connealy, Lorna Seilstad, and Rose Ross Zediker at Crossroads bookstore.




15 comments:

  1. WOOHOOOOOOO! I'm so excited that your book was there! I've gotta go ck out my B&N now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so good! Yay! How proud I am for you. :) That's such great news and encouraging!

    I so would have taken a picture too. Heck, I may have whipped out the video camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wicked! I'll have to check my BN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for encouragement and dreams realized! So happy for you Erica! And really enjoying Bride's Portrait so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting, Erica! I loved your comment about taking a picture, lol. This book is next on my TBR pile, and I can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that this is happening for you and I would have loved to have seen your face when you spotted your book!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy and proud for you. Ridiculous grin happenin' over here in Ohio.

    Did you "squeee" loudly enough that they realized they had a soon-to-be-famous author in their midst?

    As I've said before--there's more to come for you, Erica. You books'll be on endcaps and in bestseller spotlight areas before you know it. Keep up the hard work, girlfriend. SO PROUD of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! How exciting. Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your "dream realized."

    Thanks for commenting on Jill's blog. I've become a Follower here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your book making it to Barnes & Noble and making the bestseller display at your local indie bookstore. What wonderful news!

    I found A Bride's Portrait on the shelves at the Family Christian Store near me last week, which was way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to hear I'm not the only one who day dreamed in the aisle that they would have a book on the shelf. Hope to join you soon!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy that you could see your dream realized, Erica! I was excited just to find familiar covers and names at my Christian bookstore last spring and I didn't even have a book of my own published (and I took pictures, too), so I can imagine what a thrill it must have been for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great news Erica! How exciting...My question is...do you just want to sit in the store and watch how many people pick it up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful Erica, to see a dream come true! You are an inspiration. I hope you are still grinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome, Erica!!

    CONGRATULATIONS!!

    ReplyDelete