Friday, November 18, 2011

The Friday Five - Log Cabin Blog Hop

As part of the ongoing Log Cabin Christmas Blog Hop, this week's Friday Five is:

Five Minnesota Christmas Recipes.

1. Gingerbread Cookies (as made by my heroine, Beth Sorensen, in Christmas Service)


Ingredients

  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup shortening, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, until they are completely absorbed. Divide dough into 3 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cookies are done, they will look dry, but still be soft to the touch. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks. When cool, the cookies can be frosted with the icing of your choice.

2. Krumkake - A Norwegian Cookie - You need a special Krumkake iron to make these.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring, optional

Directions

  1. Heat krumkake iron on stove over medium heat. You can also use an electric krumkake or pizzelle iron.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well using a spoon. Pour in the milk, flour, vanilla, and butter flavoring; mix well.
  3. Place a teaspoon of the batter on the preheated iron, and press together. Cook until browned, about 30 seconds per side, depending on the heat. Remove from the iron and quickly roll up around a stick or around a cone before they harden.

3. Lefse - Norwegian Potato Pancake that is soooo Yummy! (Note, this recipe calls for a potato ricer. You can also use a Lefse rolling pin, pictured on the left here.)

Ingredients

  • 10 pounds potatoes, peeled
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

  1. Cover potatoes with water and cook until tender. Run hot potatoes through a potato ricer. Place into a large bowl. Beat butter, cream, salt, and sugar into the hot riced potatoes. Let cool to room temperature.
  2. Stir flour into the potato mixture. Pull off pieces of the dough and form into walnut size balls. Lightly flour a pastry cloth and roll out lefse balls to 1/8 inch thickness.
  3. Cook on a hot (400 degree F/200 C) griddle until bubbles form and each side has browned. Place on a damp towel to cool slightly and then cover with damp towel until ready to serve.


4. Fruit Cake It CAN be yummy, if done right.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups candied pineapple chunks
  • 3 cups golden raisins
  • 1 1/2 cups candied cherries
  • 1 cup dried currants
  • 2 ounces candied orange peel
  • 2 ounces candied citron peel
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 cups butter
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 8 eggs, separated
  • 4 cups pecans, chopped
  • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour

Directions

  1. Chop pineapple, raisins, and cherries. Combine chopped fruit with currants, orange peel, and citron; soak in orange juice overnight.
  2. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Place a small pan of water in the oven. Line one 5x9 inch loaf pan and two 3x8 inch loaf pans with parchment or doubled waxed paper.
  3. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioner's sugar. Stir in beaten egg yolks. Stir in fruit, juice, and pecans. Mix in sifted flour.
  4. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites to peaks. Fold into batter. Fill pans 2/3 full.
  5. Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until golden brown, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.

5. Wassail I love this hot, spicy drink on a cold December evening.

Ingredients

  • 2 quarts apple cider
  • 2 cups orange juice
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 12 whole cloves
  • 4 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 pinch ground ginger
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg

Directions

  1. In a slow-cooker or a large pot over low heat, combine apple cider, orange juice and lemon juice. Season with cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer. If using a slow cooker, allow to simmer all day. Serve hot.
  2. I like to mellow this out by adding a dollop of vanilla ice cream. :)

Please join the Blog Tour Hop for Log Cabin Christmas with Kelly Eileen Hake tomorrow. Remember, comments enter you to win a copy of Log Cabin Christmas, autographed by all NINE of the contributing authors. Details about the contest can be found HERE. There are only a couple of days left to the blog tour, so don't delay if you want to be entered in the drawing!




Do you have a favorite Christmas recipe or food tradition?


34 comments:

  1. I'm all over the Wassail (never heard of it before). Cool to pass these on!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sauerkraut and Weenies is a traditional food we have at Christmas time. Not really sure why my grandmother had this particular dish, but since she's been gone since 1990 we have carried this on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had Krumkake before, but it sounds great. Not only that, but it's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Grandmother always had a fruit cake but I don't think we've had one since she passed away. Our children love Punch Bowl cake for dessert!!! Margie in SC margie at mijares dot net

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Hungarian Christmas tradition is a seven layer cake called "Dobos" My mom used to make it but now I mostly buy it from a catalog. it's very complicated and time consuming to make. It's 7 layers of thin yellow cake with a chocolate cream filling between each layer and then covered with a hard chocolate shell. It's decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband's family always has clam chowder and oyster stew on Christmas Eve. Perfect for here in the northwest where we can get Willipa Bay oysters and dig our own razor clams! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In our extended family it's Great-grandma Helga's Julekake, a slightly sweet bread flavored with cardamom and studded with dried fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely cheese ball - special recipe. My husband takes it to work several times over the season and it always gets demolished. Where can I get a krumcake iron?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We always had "fordhook" lima beans. These are the larger green lima beans and are very hard to find these days. Also Mom's fruit cake so I will definitely try the fruit cake recipe since I am a fruit cake junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are making me hungry! Thanks, Erica. The krumkake brought back memories of Norwegian friends who made them at Christmas for my German family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I just say, Yummy! I love Wassail! A favorite Christmas tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Krumkake and the Lefse, amust have in our home. Also Kringla a buttermilk cookie.
    Growing up I had Rosettes and Fattigman! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wendy, I love wassail, and it makes the house smell so good!

    Treasurygirl, not a big fan of kraut, but I love that you're carrying on your grandmother's tradition.

    Keli, I had a friend who lived here for a year once from Norway, and she made krumkake. MMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Margie, I've never heard of Punch Bowl Cake before. It sounds yummy!

    Gabby, I've heard of Dobos before. It looks sooooo good. I can't imagine making it though. I'm not that skilled a cook. :)

    Donna, I'll pass on the oysters...I never eat seafood. The closest I get is eating oyster crackers. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carole, I love the taste of cardamom! Julekake...new year's cake? Joy cake?

    Hi, Cindy, bet the guys at work love when your husband brings treats! What kind of cheese, what kind of topping?

    Gilda, Lima beans? We had a billboard here in SE MN that said Lima beans are why God made Land O Lakes Butter. :) I like a good, moist fruitcake. Can't stand a dry one. You?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane, I haven't had any krumkake since my friend moved back to Norway. :(

    Jessica, isn't it delish? I love the aroma. I once stuck an orange full of whole cloves and floated it in the wassail, just because it would smell so amazing.

    Nicki, I love hot, buttered Lefse. And Lefse with butter and brown sugar. And Lefse plain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kayce Phillips1:51 PM

    We alway got together with our gradmother and made Divinity, Fudge and cookies. Now we are carring on the tradition with all the Grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kayce, I've never made Divinity before. Is it hard? I love that you're carrying on family traditions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Erica: God was definitely right about the butter. Fordhood lima beans must be drenched in butter. My Mom always made her fruit cakes a couple of months before Christmas. They were wrapped in foil and sealed in a tin until Christmas. They were always very moist. I'm really hungry now!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pam K.5:00 PM

    Thanks for posting the recipes. I'd like to try the Gingerbread sometime. My daughter and I make peppernuts every Christmas. We've done this since she was 3 or 4 (she's now 21) so it's become a tradition. When I'm tempted to skip a year, she won't let me! They are very time consuming to make, but delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That Wassail sounds wonderful. Maybe we'll try it this year. Our family always has chili and rice on Christmas Eve - a tradition passed on from my husband's family. And every year my sister and I make scads of cookies to share, different kinds each year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Erica, loved that you favored us with recipes today! Picture this: approximately 30 elementary Sunday School students of varying ages, krumkake recipe, two irons going well supervised and many fingers being licked! Then, with success, we shared the krumkakes at our coffee fellowship following worship. Our activity made for many smiling faces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These recipes sound delicious.I love pumpkin pie...and next on the holidays would be ham and sausage balls.Wow,now I am getting hungry.I just love good food.Thanks....jackie_tessnair@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your recipes look yummy!! I have had Norwegian Krumcake; I too would like an iron make it! My favorite Christmas treat is Stollen made with almond flavoring in the butter cream frosting topped with halved cherries. We put dried apricots, nuts and raisins inside omitting citron. We eat that together with hot apple cider, milk or coffee, just before opening gifts.
    Gabby, the Dobos sounds wonderful! Yum! And, Donna, I loved clam chowder when I was in New Hampshire! So good! Kayce, Divinity, Fudge and cookies, that's what we had when I was a little girl. Memories, memories, memories...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas with out Candy Canes on the Christmas Tree for all visitor's to enjoy. Or a slice of my Aunts Fruit Cocktail Cake. Oh who am I kidding I eat the whole cake every year :0)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ha ha, Beverly, liked your post and I like the fruit cocktail cake too. One Christmas I didn't have money for a tree nor decorations when my children were small. A friend took us to get a little tree and she decorated it with red ribbons and candy canes. I kept up the tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous9:20 PM

    All of you're recipes look wonderful thanks for shareing. Our family tradition is to get together and bake and make goodie baskets for everyone. Home made chocoalte truffles,fudge ,cookies,biscottie and toffee and whatever else we come up with.This year I made jams .salsa and zuccini relish from all the goodies in my garden.
    D.Ingbretson

    ReplyDelete
  28. Our Christmas tradition is we have BBQ hamburgers and hotdogs with all the fixin's. We have a covered porch which enables us to BBQ all year long, rain or shine. We typically have about 20 family members over for this event and its a lot of fun. Then we play cards for hours in ths shop around the wood stove.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Erica! Great recipes!

    I actually use Lefsa in my mail-order bride series from Love Inspired.

    Hubby loves fruit cake. I, however, gag on it. hehe

    Have to try the Wassail. Sounds soooo yummy!

    Just had to stop by and say hello!

    Debra Ullrick

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great collection of recipes! Christmas baking in our household always includes a special cookie recipe of my mother-in-law: Melting Moments, pinches of a shortbread-like batter baked and put together with peppermint icing. I make fruitcakes each year, and send one to all of our children. I might have to try your Wassail this year. Sounds wonderful.

    Talk of all these Christmas recipes is putting me into a baking mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love to make all kinds of Christmas cookies.Lots of work but the payoff is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Our favorite food tradition is to make a list of what we will make for goodies that year - everybody gets to choose one favorite. Then on Christmas Eve we set out a plate for Santa. In the morning we find his plate of treats with one bite out of each thing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cathleen Jones4:28 PM

    I have a new favorite: chocolate molasses cookies. I got the recipe just 3 hrs ago & only find time to bake then in December, right before Christmas. Don't tell my hubby 'cause he thinks it's still his delicious brined turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  34. My grandmother makes a homemade fruit salad at Christmas. I make her lemon pie. Been trying out some new recipes, but nothing that's become traditional yet.

    ReplyDelete