Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Goals. Yikes.

Today's picture has nothing to do with the post. I just think it's hilarious. My son and I found it at the garden center this year and I snapped a picture. Whenever I see it, I think "Dum-dum want gum-gum." (Raise your hand if you know where that line is from.)

Actually, today's post is about goals, NaNo and otherwise.

You probably noticed that I didn't reach my 50K word goal for November. I did write 30K words, so the month wasn't a total loss, but it wasn't where I wanted it to be.

And I have no excuses. I just didn't get it done. I started out well, but didn't finish up the way I wanted to.

I felt out of sorts for most of November. Unsettled, edgy, sad. I felt like I was dancing as fast as I could, but I wasn't getting any of the stuff that I wanted to done. Unsure of the cause of these feelings, I couldn't seem to pinpoint how to change.

The farther behind I fell in the NaNo count, the more apathetic I grew. Reading books on my new Kindle was more appealing than writing on my WIP. Watching DVD's of Castle appealed more than writing on my WIP. Pretty much EVERYTHING seemed better than my WIP. And I couldn't decipher why I felt apathetic towards something that normally brings me great joy.

Then the calendar flipped over to December. Here we are, a week into the last month of the year, and suddenly, I'm feeling mentally better, emotionally more stable, physically...well, that's about the same. :) I started writing again. I've averaged 2500 words a day this week, and I'm back to dreaming about my story, daydreaming and night dreaming. Things feel right when I am writing.

So, goals for December. Trying to be realistic but juxtaposing a busy Christmas season, basketball games (we have 10 this month,) end of year bookkeeping, and having my lovely daughter home from college with the fact that this WIP needs to be a completed and edited manuscript by February 1st.

1. Write as much as I can, especially before Heather comes home.

2. Edit my crit partner's manuscript and return it to her.

3. Read my other crit partner's debut novel for an endorsement. (I only got to read the first few chapters of this one before she submitted it, so now I get to see how the story will turn out.)

4. End of year bookkeeping responsibilities.

5. Keep our noses to the grindstone on the homeschooling so we don't fall behind during this whirlwind month.

6. Remember to enjoy my family, my church, my friends, the pretty snow, etc.


How about you? Have you ever felt apathetic towards something that normally gives you joy? How did you pull yourself out of it?

On a happier note, Casey Herringshaw wrote a lovely review of A Bride's Portrait of Dodge City, Kansas this week that brought tears to my eyes. You can find the review on Casey's blog: http://enjoyingthewritingcraft.blogspot.com/2011/12/write-on-erica-vetsch-brides-portrait.html

AND, my dear friend Keli Gwyn got her first peek at the beautiful cover art for her debut novel! You can see it on her FB Reader's Group page. "Like" the page and get a gander of another in the series of "Destination Romances" from Barbour Publishing. http://www.facebook.com/KeliGwynReadersGroup

10 comments:

  1. Erica, I'm sorry you were feeling down last month. If I'd know I'd have sent you a care package or done something to cheer you up. Next time you'll have to let me know so I can minister to you.

    What pulls me out of a slump is time. That, coupled with keeping on in spite of my emotional state, will serve to turn me around. If I give into the negative feelings, they tend to grow rather than go.

    Thanks for the shout out regarding the cover of my Bride book. When I first saw yours I knew mine would be purty, and I was right. Barbour sure knows how to design beautiful covers. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I have. Pretty sure you prayed me through a season of that.

    And now I know to pray for you.

    I get it, I so get it.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing when I saw that picture! A Night at the Museum! Ben Stiller cracks me up!

    I read Casey's review. It was amazing and I'm looking forward to reading your book, it's on my desk!

    I'll be praying you meet your goals and don't miss out on Castle either! What gets me out of a slump? I watch a romance movie. And the ah's get me motivated. Or I spend a few hours with friends and laughing seems to do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, I feel you! I hope December is prolific for you. November was bad for me too. And yes, that totally looks like the gum-gum guy.

    I didn't know Keli had her cover!! Will go ck it out...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica,
    Love, love, love the photo.
    (Yes, I raised my hand.)
    And, yes, I've experienced those apathetic times. When I do, I have to step back and ask myself why I am felling so blah about things I love --or maybe feeling blah about people I love. (It happens.)
    If I can discover the "why" I can usually discover the antidote. Maybe I'm exhausted. Maybe I'm upset about something else altogether ... maybe I just need a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erica - YES, I know that feeling. I most definitely 100% know that feeling and I'm sorry you were feeling it. It is no fun. Not at all. I've been struggling with the same thing. Not sure if it's b/c of my particular story or what. But the struggle is there. I always find that once I just push through and get words down, I feel better. Like a release or something.

    Thanks for being so real with this post today. It's nice to know I'm not alone in these feelings.

    And thanks for taking the time to endorse my book when you're in the midst of craziness! I know this book would not be getting published if you hadn't held my hand and torn apart those first 3 chapters, and then lovingly helped me piece them back together again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I found your name on a list of authors appearing at Christian Book and Gift in Rochester...and then found that all those appearances already happened. That's what I get for being sick!

    NaNo was rough this year...I eeked out 7K in the last 36 hours but that was the Type A For Anal in me coming out. I won't be able to use much of it, but there's a nugget of a chapter idea in those last 7K, so I guess it was worth it? Anyway, just wanted to say you weren't alone on a rough November!

    Oh, and you'd better run run from Atila the Hun Hun! :D

    (P.S. I commented then realized I was signed into my husband's google account--oops! So that deleted comment was just what I said above...sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the picture! I actually just watched the movie with my kids not too long ago :)

    I'm sorry about November. We wouldn't be human, or probably even normal, I guess, if we didn't get the blues here and there. Glad to hear you're back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't even plan to participate in NaNoWriMo this year, although I signed in and occasionally recorded my pathetic word counts during the month. I knew before November arrived that I didn't have the drive to meet the kind of goal that was voluntary anyway. I wrote throughout the month ... spent the first two weeks on a self-imposed retreat of sorts at our remote cabin, writing and reading from dawn to dusk while my hubby, son and a grandson were out hunting moose and deer ... but didn't rack up a lot of useable words. Sometimes negative progress begets more negative progress. Since returning home I've been working on a different project for my aunt and thinking a different focus is a good thing.

    My slump is probably for reasons completely different from yours, but as Keli said, time is often the cure. I hope your December continues to stay on the upswing and you reach all your goals. :)

    ReplyDelete