Monday, February 13, 2012

Dreaming in Color


This last weekend I had an odd sensation of deja vu. I began writing a scene that I had seen in my head a hundred times over the past few months. A scene my whole book hinges on. A scene I had actually seen in my dreams.

What an odd feeling, to be walking through a scene I had dreamed about. The colors, the sounds, the smells, the textures.

Even odder, the emotions and feelings, the pain, the fear, the desires. All familiar, all lived through in my dreams.

Have you ever dreamed about a scene you later wrote?

In an aside, over on http://seekerville.blogspot.com/ today, Tina R. has called upon some of her author friends to help her debunk some of those "Once I'm Published Everything Will Be Perfect" myths, and she's asked me to help. I hope you'll stop by and check it out. :)

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow. :)

12 comments:

  1. That's so cool! My first published novel, Canyon Walls, began as a dream. I don't think I've dreamed about a book since. I sure wish I would. Maybe it would help me get this stubborn thing finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, but Stephanie Meyer did and look what happened to her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool. Like Katie, my first thought was Stephanie Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only dreamed about my very first novel.

    I thought of Stephanie Meyer too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just trying to remember if I dream in color. I don't recall being startled by a black & white dream, so I guess I do. But I digress. YES! I've dreamed of something then written about it. The relaxed mind is where some of the best inspiration happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How's this for getting Twilight Zone on you...what if *everything* we write has come to us in former dreams?

    Doo doo doo doo. ;)

    (And my answer is yes to your question.)
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I bet dreaming that scene first really helped give you some great sensory detail when writing it. I wrote my second story based off a dream and I loved that one even though I had no idea what I was doing at the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never had a dream of a scene I wrote, but it'd be neat if it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun that you dreamed a scene that you were actually able to write, Erica. That must have been a lot of fun.

    I can't recall having dreamed about my stories, but I've daydreamed about them zillions of times. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep seeing you on other blogs, so I thought I would visit your place. How fun to dream about the scene. I would love to experience that!

    Also, my husband's aunt tells me she went to college with you {Heidi Viera {formally Stone}. Do you remember her?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Melanie! I do remember Heidi. She and my sister were on a traveling music team together! Thanks for stopping by the blog, and give my regards to Heidi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope. I never, ever have dreams about my books. I know a lot of authors who do.
    I do have daydreams though, bunches of them, and it's always fun to finally get the to the scene I'd already daydreamed about. ;-)

    ReplyDelete