Friday, February 17, 2012

The Friday Five

This week's Friday Five is:

Signs that my daughter is becoming an adult.

1. All the mail that is arriving at the house addressed to her. Banking, tax papers, bills, etc.

2. That she has to give permission for me to see her financial information at college. And her grades.

3. She has a job, classes, teaching responsibilities, and friends that I don't know all about. She's thriving in her major, and she's planning the next steps in her life regarding her career.

4. She has taken control of her spiritual life and what she needs to nurture that. She has found a church in the Twin Cities that she attends regularly, has gotten involved with volunteering in the children's program, and in a Sunday School class.

5. She's balancing her spending and her working so well. When she wanted a gaming system, she worked extra hours to pay for it above and beyond what she's working to help pay for school.

As parents we spend the first 18-20 years of our kids' lives teaching them to be independent, responsible adults, but I'll have to admit, having a youngster spreading her wings is a bittersweet experience. I'm so proud of her, and yet, letting go is hard.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad your daughter is doing so well. Isn't it rewarding to watch your child become an awesome adult?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to let go, but so beautiful watching the little birds take flight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to call you when my time comes. Expect crying...the blubbering kind.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like y'all did an amazing job of raising a responsible, focused, spiritually strong young lady. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not just becoming an adult, but a beautiful, well-grounded adult! Love that daughter of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like somebody taught her well :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda9:55 AM

    Good job Mama and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must tell you as the years go by and my daughter gets older, butterflies hound my stomach. I want her to be a young, responsible woman but it frightens me that I won't be able to protect her forever.

    I know, trust God...but still.

    ReplyDelete