Monday, March 26, 2012

Back from Florida


We're back! We spent 10 days with my parents in Florida, and we arrived home tired and happy.

We had a wonderful time. The picture above is a promise from my father to my son fulfilled. James really wanted to see an alligator in the wild. So one day (while my mom and I were at a book signing) my dad took my husband Peter and my son James to the Circle Bar B Game Preserve where they saw a couple dozen alligators, some turtles, and some really cool birds. Peter snapped this picture of a gator sunning on a  bank.

While in Florida, we shopped in Mt. Dora, the small town where Angela Hunt set her Fairlawn Series. We visited the Ringling Museum in Sarasota. The mansion, the circus museum, the gardens, the grounds, and the art museum. I sat and contemplated the colors and symbolism of several giant Rubens paintings that were breathtakingly beautiful.

We also visited the Tampa Bay History Museum, I had a book signing, went to church with my folks and ate at Ling's Buffet. Then we went to SeaWorld of Orlando. And saw orange groves, Spanish moss, turtles, ospreys, egrets, cranes, and spring training baseball.

For my birthday, my parents took me to Manny's Chophouse, where we ate steak and had an enormous chocolate brownie dessert.

We had a wonderful time with my family, and I loved every minute of the trip. But oddly enough, the night before we were supposed to leave, I was hit with a terrible case of homesickness. I missed my home. I missed my cat, my bed, my routine, my rut.

I love vacation, and we saw amazing things, and I got some books so I could learn more about Florida history and perhaps write a story set there, but I learned anew the meaning of the phrase "home sweet home."

How about you? Have you ever been homesick?

4 comments:

  1. Okay, you were less than two hours from me!!! Next time, CALL me. *grin*
    So glad to hear you had a good time. We see alligators all the time. It's pretty cool.
    And yes, I sleep best in my bed so I do miss it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a great time! But I definitely know what you mean...there's no place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I feel that way about heaven all the time.

    And funny thing about your homesickness...I was missing you & your blogging!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I've definitely felt that way. The first couple months of college. And whenever I'm away from my fam for any extended period.

    I know when we traavel to the Congo to pick up our son or daughter, I will be very homesick for Brogan!

    ReplyDelete