Friday, March 02, 2012

The Friday Five


This is the final weekend of 2011-2012 basketball for the Rochester Defenders! Yay! (I love the basketball season, but I'll freely admit to wanting my life back!)

So, five top things from the Rochester Area Homeschool Defenders basketball season:

1. More playing time for James. He met his pre-season goal of becoming a starter for the JV team.

2. Logging 4,000+ miles of driving. To and from practice and to and from games.

3. Getting to know some of the Defenders moms better.

4. Seeing the maturity of some of our upper-classmen as they guide and help younger players.

5. Beating Mountain Lake Christian for the first time in 10 years!

Question: Do you have/have you had kids in sports?

Oh, and I totally forgot, so coming back in here to edit...I'm on SEEKERVILLE today talking about throttling your internal editor. http://seekerville.blogspot.com/ Please come join in the fun!

7 comments:

  1. My youngest son also moved up to start on his JV team! It was an exciting year of lots of playing time. I also met parents of the team members, which made the season fun.

    My son, along with the other JV starters, got moved up to varsity for the playoff game, but he didn't get to play. More of a "token" thing. ;)

    And I am also glad the season has ended...especially with Speedbo going on!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son takes Karate! He just earned his yellow belt. My daughter barely gets off her bed, so sports are out now that she's older. But she does play the piano. She asked for a lap keyboard. Um...no she can walk to feet away to her piano. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the gamut. Dance, b-ball, soccer, gymnastics. I'm sure there are more. They've tried them all.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son is three, so no sports yet. But believe it or not, you can sign your kids up for basketball and soccer at three. We're definitely going to give it a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Tonight is our final regular season game. Next weekend is our final tourney. I'm ready for my life back too!

    We're in a lot of sports here. In fact, I just had to sign my son up for baseball last night. Add tumbling, cheerleading, volleyball, basketball, track, and soccer to the mix and, let's just say, my crockpot earns its keep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't yet, but I'm sure I will in a few years once my DD reaches elementary school. The way she's going it's going to be martial art meets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 4,000 miles! Wow! That's a lot of chauffeuring. Our children weren't into team sports. They went to swimming lessons, did a bit of skiing (when they were old enough to drive themselves) and gymnastics, but their interests never took them into a competitive realm.

    Our grandchildren enjoy playing hockey and soccer, so we attend some of their events. It's nice to see the camaraderie that develops between the parents who see each other week after week.

    BTW, thanks for your Seekerville post. Very useful info, especially during Speedbo! :)

    ReplyDelete