Sunday, July 29, 2012

My church is...


Last week I tried to describe my lovely friend Keli Gwyn, and the conclusion I came to is that she defies description. :)

This past weekend I was trying to think of how I would describe my church to someone who had never been there, and again, I was at a loss for words.

After a couple of hours in the nursery yesterday morning and a congregational meeting and coffee and dessert (okay, I had Diet Pepsi) with Pastor Kevin and his lovely wife Ann, I'm still at a loss to describe exactly what it is that makes me love my church so much, and yet, I do love it.

We are the most diverse, whackadoo group of people, with various gifts and personalities and histories. We are professionals and stay at home moms, we are young and we are old, we are outgoing and we are reserved. We come from conservative backgrounds and un-churched backgrounds. And in all our differences and diversities lies our strength.

Because we all love Jesus and desire to glorify Him in everything we do. We try to be students of God's Word, and as a body and as individuals, we give grace. The people of this church extend grace to me when I am in need (which is all the time) and I try to extend that same grace to them. Because we all know how much Grace has been poured out on us.

Does this mean we live and let live? No. Where Scripture is clear about our responsibility as believers to obey God, we stand firm. Our pastor pulls no punches when it comes to preaching the Word, and the church will not compromise on the Truth.

What's not to love??? Cornerstone Evangelical Free Church is...a blessing to me.

So, where do you worship, and how would you describe your church to someone who had never been there?

3 comments:

  1. Ours is often described by visitors as a friendly church and I'm always glad to hear that. While my hubby pastored at Haney Presbyterian Church he affixed a small plaque to his side of the pulpit that reminded him, "We would see Jesus." The focus is on scripture and prayer and being a caring community. He's retired now, but we continue to worship there, and I love it and the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why it is so hard to explain why we love our churches? Maybe it's because of the vast diversity and personalities that reside within. Maybe because those Spirit-filled members are as unique and special as God Himself. I don't know, but I'm so glad you have such a wonderful church!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My church is small but growing. I love that the people come from all walks of life and are respectful of those whose lifestyles are different. I've had bad experiences where churches tried to get everyone to conform to one way of living, thinking, etc. Not this church. The people were kind enough to visit me in the hospital during my surgery and ministered to me when I needed meals delivered. They really walk the Christian walk.

    ReplyDelete