Wednesday, July 18, 2012

World War One Wednesday

The assistant quilter, my cat, Pookie! :)
This post is going to be heavy on the pictures, because yesterday was PIECING day for the Red Cross Signature Quilt!!!! My lovely and sweet sister-in-law, Linda, came over and helped me put together all 56 (okay, due to a snafu, there were 58 squares and I had to do some readjusting and quick-fix embroidering) squares into a BIG quilt top! Here are some pictures of the progress:

We laid all the squares out on the living room floor to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be. That's when I found out I had two EXTRA squares! EEEK!

Me, embroidering the 10 names from the two extra squares into spaces on some of the other squares so every veteran's name got on the quilt. I had thought I was done with embroidering, but I guess not.

Linda, pinning the first row of squares together. She sewed the squares together into long strips.

Gotcha! :)

Got us both! :)

These are the strips laid out on the couch so we could keep them in order. At the end of each strip of squares is a half-square in white, embroidered with the names of Dodge County Veterans killed in action, Dodge County Red Cross Nurses, and presentation squares that tell what the quilt is for and whose names are on it.

The first four strips sewn together! Over halfway there!

Linda's pinning ground for strips. She's an excellent pinner!
Self portrait of the photographer! :) Hi, James!

We got the entire quilt pieced, and it proudly bears the names of 363 fine men and women from Dodge County, Minnesota who sacrificed for freedom during The Great War.

Here's us with the completed quilt top!




9 comments:

  1. That is remarkable, Erica! Will it be on display at the Red Cross or at a local historical museum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brandi! The quilt will be on display at the Dodge County Historical Society, alongside the original signature quilt that inspired the story. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loree. No way could I do it without Linda. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow...I am seriously impressed! That's so cool how you know how to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're kinda sorta feeling our way. I'm not much of a seamstress, so I do a lot of figuring things out on paper first. :)

      Delete
  4. It's a wonderful quilt, Erica! Such a great way to honour those men and women! I'm sure their names are much more meaningful to you than they were before you started the project, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is simply amazing! You're so talented and uber cool! :) I love quilts, hint hint! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's awesome, Erica!!! I ditto what Jessica posted, aside from the BLATANT and SHAMELESS begging. My begging is far more subtle ;) *wink, wink*

    ReplyDelete