Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Back At It


I've taken a little bit of time off from writing this summer, the first in almost six years. But now it's time to get back at it. I've spent the past few weeks noodling different story ideas and waiting to hear back on a couple of projects from some publishers.

One particular idea I'm very intrigued by, but it's not in my normal genre. It's close, but rather than historical romance, it's historical mystery with a dash of romance.

It's also going to take a BUNCH of research because the setting is a place that I've never been, and I'm finding resource material scarcer than I'd hoped.

And I want to write! I want to write historical romance! I want to write about the American West and cowtowns and the frontier and everything that makes my heart happy!

So I started a story yesterday. Boy did it feel good! I'm going to put a new word counter up, start back into my lovely #1k1hr group of Facebook, and write.

What are you working on? Have you ever taken a break from writing only to find your heart longing to return to the work you love?

4 comments:

  1. I've taken a couple weeks off recently--not planned, but because life got crazy all of a sudden. But I'm itching to get back to work this week! Sometimes, breaks are so nice...because they remind me how much I really do WANT to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad ta hear yer writin' one o' them there hysterical romances. Them's the ones I's likes the bestest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read the new story! Last summer, when our best friends' son was killed in a car accident, I took the summer off and spent it with them about every single day. The timing was perfect because I didn't have an agent, just waiting to hear back from her and then when summer was over, she called. Then things picked up. God knows what we need and when. I'm glad you enjoyed your break and are back at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always exciting to hear about a new story germinating. Enjoy the process! I rarely have days where I don't write *something*, but it's not always adding words to my current wip. When visiting family and friends are milling around I find it difficult to settle down to my novelling and after a few days I get antsy about getting back to it.

    For the next couple weeks I'm going to be RVing with family. It will provide lots of 'percolating' time, but maybe not long stretches of writing. I have a lot I want to accomplish so I'm going to have to carve out some "me" time. Perhaps I can lock myself in the trailer!

    ReplyDelete