Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Friday Five


This week we took the dear daughter back to college. I'm excited for her, just sad for me. I love having her home. 

But, in order to focus on the positive, I'm going to post five great things about college instead of what I wanted to post, the five horrible things about having your kid go back to school. :D

1. Friends. Heather's got a great group of friends at school, and they were all really happy to see one another. I made friends in college that helped me become the person I am, that I remember fondly, and that I've kept in touch with over the years.

2. Learning. Heather was made to go to school. She loves classes and learning. I am the same way. I think that's one of the things I love so much about writing historical fiction. I get to learn and study and acquire knowledge.

3. Maturing. Every semester, she gets more and more mature, has more experiences, makes more decisions on her own. She's becoming such a wonderful young lady. (I'm skipping this one for me, because I'm not super mature...LOL Heather was born more mature than me.)

4. Being equipped for your calling. I'm so pleased Heather is studying education. Her father and I both studied education in college, and seeing her follow in our footsteps makes me happy.

5. Godly professors and advisers. I'm also pleased that Heather chose a Christian college where her classes would reinforce her Christian world view. Bible college for me was a real growing time in my spiritual life. 

So, what do you remember from college? What did you look forward to the most when you returned to campus?

9 comments:

  1. Loved my classes. Loved my spot on the third floor of the library. The library had a beautiful view of the Charles River. 3rd floor was the media center. I'd have the aid put a tape of Edvard Grieg's Pier Gynt suite and I'd study my heart out or day dream while looking at the river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning 100%. I'm a nerd that way. I'd go for the rest of my life if I could afford it.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 - Friends…who made you the person you are today. Okay, I need to meet these people 'cuz, oh brother, do I ever have a few things to say to them!

    #3 - Maturing: this one's confusing; because you said Heather was born more mature than you, but you'd also said it was your friends at college who made you this way today? Okay, which is it!

    Actually, just kidding on both of these, but you know me and my "pastoral" sense of humor.

    CJ Kennedy, when are you coming for a visit? Erica continues to tell me stories and I have to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. College was an amazingly awesome time for me. I went to Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa...so, not the same NWC as your daughter. :) I had such a blast with friends, learned quite a bit...but the best was studying abroad. One of the best experiences of my life, by far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave my life to Christ in college!

    Love your list of positives, Erica. But it has to be hard to say goodbye to your baby girl (who isn't a baby anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too went to Bible college and I loved the godly professors and administrators. I was thankful for friends who shared in my faith and made me a better person and I'm thankful Tim Patch went there or I would have never met him, fell in love, and had 2 beautiful kiddos! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're too funny!! I can't imagine my kids leaving for school...:-( It sounds like you have an awesome attitude though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a couple of friends go to Northwestern - I hear it's an excellent college. I attended St. Cloud State so I could save money living at home. I love, love learning (also why I'm such a huge fan of writing and reading historical fiction), but I wasn't crazy about campus life (especially at St. Cloud State). I hope your daughter has a fantastic year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete