Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Wisdom of Pencils

pencils

This past week my daughter brought home the newsletter from the childcare center where she works. As I perused it, I was struck by an article that provided me with plenty of food for thought.

It was entitled The Wisdom of Pencils, about five things that a pencil maker told to a pencil before he put it in the box. 
  • Everything you do will always leave a mark.
  • You can always correct the mistakes you make.
  • What is important is what is inside of you.
  • In life, you will undergo painful sharpening which will only make you better.
  • To be the best, you must allow yourself to be held and guided by the hand that holds you.
 It struck me how similar these things were to what God says to His children. 

  • What we do is important and our actions have consequences.
  • You always have the opportunity to ask for forgiveness and turn away from sin.
  • If you aren't born again, nothing else really matters.
  • Painful seasons are for our good and God's glory.
  • To glorify God, we must follow where He leads.
How about you? Any object lessons or sermon illustrations or articles that have struck you lately?


6 comments:

  1. This is fabulous, Erica, and so true! I have to say I cannot think of any off the top of my head. But I really do love this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, there's a sermon illustration waiting in there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when a physical object/event represents our Creator and His work in our lives. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is cool! Thanks for sharing, Erica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is excellent advice! We have to endure all these things that you listed sometime in our life! Thanks for sharing, too!

    ReplyDelete