Tuesday, August 21, 2012

World War One Wednesday

Cafe Rouge Steak

During World War One, Herbert Hoover became the head of the US Food Administration. He launched a campaign to conserve food on the home-front and ship tons of supplies to Europe to the American and Allied soldiers and war-impoverished England and France.

To do this, he urged homemakers to have Meatless Mondays and Wheatless Wednesdays. Recipes for potatoes, fish, flourless cakes and rye and oat breads were printed and distributed. 

I wonder how we Americans would respond to such a challenge today. We don't like doing without. Would you be willing to forgo coffee so a soldier somewhere could have an extra cup? Would I want to give up bread or cheese or meat?

In a vaguely related aside, I am a card-carrying carnivore. I love steak. I also love watching cooking shows. What I don't like on cooking shows is that they never seem to cook the meat long enough. I don't want my steak mooing at me on the plate. I don't want to see any pink. This evidently makes me a steak-Philistine. 

So, a couple of questions for you:

1. What might you find the most difficult to give up if the US had a period of food rationing?

2. How do you prefer your steak cooked?

Also, I'm a guest blogger over at Melissa Tagg's Tag(g)lines today. I hope you'll venture over and join the discussion about prepping for a writer's conference. 



5 comments:

  1. I think I would find giving up tea the most difficult. I like my steak medium well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, giving up tea would come second. Giving up chocolate would be the most difficult. It's too early and I haven't had my first cup of tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was younger, I always ordered well done, but the older I get the more I realize I like a little pink. So medium well for me! I had no idea about the food ration thing. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bread.

    Medium rare.

    I drool at Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me it would be coffee. I'm already cranky on the days when I make myself drink green tea because it's healthy, lol.

    I like my steak well done, too. Otherwise, it doesn't settle well in my stomach. Never understood why chefs liked to have their steak still mooing.

    ReplyDelete