Sunday, October 21, 2012

Whatcha Readin?


Since I've begun writing a new romance, I've been deliberate about reading more romances. I want to immerse myself in the genre, reading and noting all the places where my emotions are engaged and seeing how the author accomplished it. I want to get my mind and creativity settled into the romance genre.

I tend to read widely, lots of genres, especially mysteries. I read thrillers, some horror, westerns, historical, contemporary, whatever catches my eye. I also read a lot of non-fiction, history and biography.

But I find when I'm writing a new story, I want to read romances. I want strong heroes, intelligent heroines, compelling conflicts, and a sense of inevitability when it comes to falling in love. I know some writers shy away from reading their own genre out of a fear of copying the style or story line of another writer, but I can't imagine not reading romances while writing.

Some of my favorite romances were written half a century ago by New Zealand author Essie Summers. I just finished re-reading Winter in July a very satisfying story.

How about you? Do you read widely in your genre? When you are writing, do you still read fiction?

10 comments:

  1. I read primarily romance, specifically historical romance set in the Victorian Era. It's my favorite genre, which is why it's what I write.

    When I first began writing, I chose not to read while I was drafting my stories. I was afraid I'd unconsciously be influenced by what I was reading. These days I read because I want to be immersed in my genre. Reading another author's book before I go to sleep helps pull me out of my story and put my characters to rest so I can (hopefully) get some rest myself.

    I'm reading Unending Devotion by Jody Hedlund right now. I was privileged to read the story in manuscript form, but I love seeing how it turned out in the final print version. It's every bit as good as I remember. I love her hero, Connell. And can Jody ever keep a reader turning pages. She's a master at creating conflict and tension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read in my genre and out and yep, when I'm writing I read fiction (usually outside my genre).

    At the moment I'm reading two books. Full Disclosure by Dee Henderson and Accidentally Amish by Olivia Newport. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mostly read in my genre, especially when I'm trying to get in the mood for writing that genre. Every once in while, though, I'll read something else, to get a better feel for characters and pacing. Or just for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I always read romance! Historical, suspense, futuristic...as long as it has romance, I'm good! lol
    I just started Season of Love (I think?) by Virginia Carmichael (Mary Virginia Munoz). I'm enjoying it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely read in my genre (contemporary romance/romantic comedy), but I also adore historical romances, some women's fiction and a suspense every now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I read my genre. For me, when I read outside my genre is when my voice starts veering. Especially if I'm reading an Elizabeth George mystery--that's when my sentences start getting long and flowy and quite British. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a writer, but I do read a variety of genres. My currently reading/recently read stack includes several books for my theology paper, the Silmarillion, Prince Caspian, and two children's picture books: a fiction one called Not A Box and a non-fiction called How We Travel. Somewhere in that stack is a balance of college student, nerd, and preschool teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read a variety of genres, too. Right now I'm into the old pulp fiction stories by Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. I love noir mystery! Other than that, I read steampunk, epic fantasy, paranormal romance, and historical mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always reading. :) I just finished Tracy Groot's Flame of Resistance. Boy, was that good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read mostly romance, but I love good suspense and women's fiction too. I do not read horror and hardly any science fiction.

    I'm not reading anything at the moment. Recently I finished Susan May Warren's You Don't Know Me. I just received Ronie Kendig's Trinity in the mail. Anxious to get started on that one!

    ReplyDelete