Tuesday, October 02, 2012

World War One Wednesday - The Quilt


The Red Cross Signature Quilt, embroidered with the names of World War One veterans from Dodge County, Minnesota is all set to be presented, and we have a date and time!

Sunday, November 11th, at 3:30 pm, at the Dodge County Historical Society Museum in Mantorville, MN, my sister-in-law and I will be presenting the quilt to be added to the museum collection, and I'll be signing copies of A Bride Sews With Love in Needles, CA, which was inspired by my first visit to the DCHS museum.

Just before the presentation, there is an honor ceremony at the Civil War Memorial in Wasioja, just a few miles from Mantorville, at 2:00 pm.


If you're able, I'd love to see you at both places! Come to honor our American Veterans, and stay for the quilt presentation. Tour the museum, including the grave in the basement, see the lovely quilts and dresses, and visit with the DCHS board members and patrons.

12 comments:

  1. How wonderful it will be for you to present your quilt on Veteran's Day Erica. I wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could come too. You'd love the little museum in the old church. It's got some great stories.

      Delete
  2. What a perfect day for the presentation, Armistice Day. Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The museum has been so great to work with, so helpful. I couldn't have picked a better day for the presentation. Wish you could be here too.

      Delete
  3. It's so beautiful! How cool!!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It turned out better than I had even hoped!

      Delete
  4. How neat to be able to present your quilt! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited. At least one of the board members at the DCHS has relatives' names stitched on the quilt. It will be fun to see who else might find a family name.

      Delete
  5. Amazing! Must be so satisfying to see the finished project. Take pictures of the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter has agreed to come along as the documentarian. He'll have his camera snapping pics the whole time!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful tribute, Erica. Did you hand embroider the names? The quilt looks beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Audra, yes, I embroidered most of the names. My SIL Linda has much the better penmanship, so she was in charge of scribing the names on the fabric. :)

      Delete