Tuesday, October 16, 2012

World War One Wednesday

Below are the top five fiction titles of 1917. I find it interesting to see what people were reading at a given time in history, because it gives me a bit of insight into what was going on in their heads, what was forming their opinions and shaping their views. I was pleasantly surprised to see that all these titles and authors were familiar to me.


A Princess of Mars (Barsoom...
by 


His Last Bow (Sherlock Holm...
by 


Summer
by 


Understood Betsy
by 


The Lost Princess of Oz (Oz...
by 

The year I was born, the most popular book was "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou.

Google "Most popular books of ___________" and put in the year you were born. I'd love to know what was popular in the year of your birth.

12 comments:

  1. Salem's Lot by Stephen King (that says a lot about me actually) My mom read that book.

    Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary which I read every single one in elementary school.

    The Mothman Prophecies
    by John A. Keel

    Angels: God's Secret Agents
    by Billy Graham

    1975.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all those titles! :) And I loved Beverly Cleary too.

      Delete
  2. Linda8:10 AM

    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

    Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

    and farther down the list I found The Sneetches, Go, Dog, Go, and A Fish Out of Water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bawled my eyes out over Where The Red Fern Grows.

      Delete
  3. Oh, nooooo.....The Exorcist. LOL, wish I hadn't looked. *snort*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! That's not creepy at all. :D

      Delete
  4. 1955:

    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

    Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

    The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

    Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

    Only one I have read is Harold and the Purple Crayon, a favorite of mine. The Young One and I tried reading Magician's Nephew but found it boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Harold and the Purple Crayon!

      Delete
  5. How sad! I don't recognize any of the books on the list for 1981. But I do recognize the name Stephen King. Not planning on reading Cujo, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to Stephen King in his memoir, he wrote Cujo when he was blasted on drugs and booze. :S

      Delete
  6. Night by Elie Wiesel

    The Once and Future King by T.H. White

    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

    A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond

    Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

    The Cat in the Hat Comes Back by Dr. Suess

    There were lots and lots of great books published and popular in 1958!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a diverse list! I loved Paddington, and nobody beats Dr. Seuss. :D

      Delete