Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sometimes It Works, Sometimes It Doesn't

Coffee time

I was a guest blogger yesterday over at Coffee Cups & Camisoles. (You can read that post by clicking HERE.) I blogged about how I write best when I'm ensconced at my local coffee shop.

Yesterday I put that method to the test again. I landed at Dunn Bros. Coffee Shop at about 2 pm, and I stayed until 4:30. In that 2.5 hrs, I wrote over three thousand words on my WIP. The best writing day I've had in awhile. 

And yet, it doesn't always work. Some days I get there and it's peck, peck, peck, check email, write a hundred words, delete fifty, check Facebook, peck, peck, pick, pick. I try never to leave before I have at least a thousand words, but sometimes the words just don't come.

That's why I celebrate the good days. 

I'd love to celebrate with you. Have you had a writing success, a personal success? No matter how small, it's worth celebrating, something to carry us through the tough times.




12 comments:

  1. I don't write at coffee shops because it hurts my back and my bum. But I have written at the library. They have cush chairs with ottomans.

    So glad you had a great writing day, Erica! I'm about 3 days away from sending a new ms to my agent. That makes me feel good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Sending in a new ms is a big reason to celebrate! Woot! Woot! Congratulations!!

      Delete
  2. I got out of bed this morning. That's a celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! And we need to chat! It's been too long!

      Delete
  3. Woot to the pecks!

    I pecked out a few thousand yesterday myself. Felt good. Love it when I fall back in love with the act of writing itself. The other stuff can be so distracting.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it! The other stuff can be so distracting. I love writing, but sometimes I forget when I'm trapped under all the peripherals.

      Yay for a few thousand words yesterday!!!!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on those 3,000 words, Erica. I look forward to reading them when the book you're working on comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such an encourager. :) I love that WHEN, not IF.

      I hope you have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  5. Wow,for some reason I pictured you as typetypetypetypetypetype, not peck...peck...peck....delete. In fact, that is ME! Now I have to rethink my whole image of you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's the check fb, check blogs, check email, check anything but what my characters are doing that some days grinds the whole thing to a halt. :D

      Delete
  6. Some days I have to remind myself that any progress is good progress. I was away for a week at our northern cabin where there is no electricity, phone, cell or internet access. Came home to discover I had 18,000+ new NaNoWriMo words to report. in the next five days I came up with only 2,000 more. I suspect FB, Twitter, my blog and e-mail are the real culprits, although I prefer to blame the laundry and housework!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my housework gets lots of blame when it's FB and email that should be holding the bag!

      But Yay for 20K more words for you! That's wonderful!

      Delete