Sunday, November 11, 2012

World War One Red Cross Quilt

November 11th, 2012 was quilt presentation day at the Dodge County Historical Society. Thank you so much to all who came out for the event. I really enjoyed talking with you, hearing your stories of fathers and uncles and family members who fought in World War One. Here are some of the pictures my husband took of the day.

My brother in law, Mike Ambrose, helping me drape the quilt.


Showing Linda "THE BOOK." This is the record where I found the lists of veterans for the quilt.

Here's the book table. :)

In the foreground is the original quilt that inspired my newest release.

A few of the folks who came out.

I was honored to meet Evelyn, who told me her father's name was on the quilt...and her father's cousin, too. They both share the same name! 

Finding Evelyn's dad's name on the quilt.

Chatting with Linda and Ruth.

Linda and me with the board of directors of the Dodge County Historical Society.

James, who ran to the car several times to replenish the book table. (And who also ate his share of the yummy cake the ladies provide.)

Finding another relative's name on the quilt.

We were serenaded by lovely tunes on the antique Chickering piano.

Me with a WW1 vintage flag. Note the 48 stars. :)

It was a lovely time in the church museum, and I was so blessed to have so many family and friends there.

Question for you...how'd you spend your weekend?




10 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully rewarding event for you! And it was the perfect day for your quilt to be presented. Congratulations, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a very nice Veteran's Day Ceremony just before the book signing. Taps gives me chills.

      Delete
  2. What a special day you had, Erica. I'm glad it went so well. I love the pictures. How moving it must have been to help those women locate their loved ones' names on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keli, it was so neat to hear their stories and know we were within living memory of these brave men and women who served.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a wonderful turnout. How thrilled that lady must have been to find her father's name on the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice turnout, especially in the raw weather.

      Lots of happy faces when they found relatives' names. :)

      Delete
  4. Very cool experience! I love the pics and the creative signing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of fun, and very rewarding. I love hearing people talk about their family histories. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh Erica, I love, love, love this post! Such a tribute with such meaning.

    I didn't do anything exciting. I edited a friend's manuscript, cutting about 60,000 words. Ouch, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! 60K words?

    So much easier to cut someone else's than my own. :D

    ReplyDelete