Sunday, September 29, 2013

Back to Basics


I finally got a picture of me and my lovely agent, Rachelle Gardner! We've been working together for three years and this is the first picture I have of us together. :)

She's a wonderful agent and encouragement to me, always seeking to help me grow as a writer and shape my career.

With some projects headed out the door to editors, it's time to re-evaluate what I'm doing and if what I'm doing is in line with the career goals I've set. I'm not as productive as I have been in the past, and as I desire to return to consistent productivity, I'm headed back to basics.

In years past, it was my custom on this blog to post my monthly goals at the beginning of each month and evaluate how I'd done on the previous month's goals.

I've gotten out of that practice, and as a result, I don't set quantifiable goals, nor do I know if/when I've met them.

So, I'm going to lay out a few goals for the month of October.

1. Finish the proposal for The Cactus Creek Challenge except for the sample chapters.

2. Finish writing Trouble's Brewing. This will be quite a feat, as I have about 35K more words to put on this story.

3. Prepare for NaNoWriMo. I'd love to write 50K words on The Cactus Creek Challenge in November.

How about you? Do you have some goals for October? Are you a goal-setter?

6 comments:

  1. You two are oh so lovely! I like to set goals. It definitely helps me stay productive. I just started a new WIP and have set the deadline for November 9th to finish the first draft. Praying for your success, Erica! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess! And wow, that is going to be some quick first draft! You must write like your hair is on fire! :)

      Delete
  2. My goals for October? Make it to November, and we'll see what happens then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days my goal is to make it to bedtime...:)

      Delete
  3. Erica,

    I am a goal setter, every month without fail. I'll set my October goals tomorrow. It will be to complete three revisions of my manuscript and write blurbs for books two, three and four to complete a prosposal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not at all surprised, Rose, that you set goals every month. That wordcount spreadsheet! You've got a lot on your plate this month!

      Delete